If you’re running a version of Page Builder Framework below 1.7, manual action is required to update to the new version in the WordPress repository.
Users of the Premium Add-On will see the following message after they’ve updated the Add-On to the latest version.
This version is compatible only with the latest version of Page Builder Framework which is now available from the WordPress repository. To update to the latest version of Page Builder Framework, a manual update is required.
Important! Before we get started, make sure you back up your WordPress database!
- navigate to Appearance -> Themes in your WordPress admin and click “Add New” at the top left, next to the headline
- search for “Page Builder Framework” and click install
- if you’re using a child theme, follow the instructions under “Migration”
- if you were not using a child theme before, activate Page Builder Framework
Now you’ve successfully installed the current version of Page Builder Framework and the migration message above should be gone. Now, lets do the migration.
The next step is, installing the migration tool. You can download the plugin here.
Using the migration tool is simple.
- navigate to Appearance -> Migration
- choose wether you’re using a child-theme or not
- check “Soft Migration”
- hit save
That moves the existing settings over to the new version of Page Builder Framework.
You get 2 options here:
- Soft Migration – leaves your old settings for Page Builder Framework in the database
- Hard Migration – removes your old settings for Page Builder Framework in the database
It’s important to first run a soft migration, in case something goes wrong. That way you can always switch back for troubleshooting.
If the soft migration was successful and your site looks just like it did before, it’s recommended to run the hard migration as well, to remove old theme related data from your database.
Note: This process is the same on a WordPress multisite and only needs to be executed once from the main site of your network. The changes will automatically apply to all subsites.
Manual Changes (child-theme only)
We’re almost done!
Although I’ve tried to keep this process as simple as possible, there’s one line of code we have to edit manually if we are using a child theme. Assuming your child theme is still activated,
- navigate to Appearance -> Editor
- change Template from wpbf to page-builder-framework in your style.css file
- hit update
You’ve successfully moved to the new version of Page Builder Framework and the migration message above should be gone.
You’ll now be able to receive automatic updates, just like before. It is now save to delete the old version (1.6.x) of Page Builder Framework from your WordPress installation.
If you have any questions or need help with this migration process, feel free to create a support ticket and reach out.